Excellent thermal insulation and chemical resistance properties make polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) suitable for many commercial and industrial applications. PTFE—more commonly known by DuPont’s brand name, Teflon™—is widely used to create solutions for the plumbing sector, such as washers and plumber’s tape.
Benefits of Teflon
PTFE is a good raw material for fabricating industrial parts due to its many beneficial properties. Some of these include:
- Better heat resistance than Nylon, making Teflon washers ideal for use in heat-generating electrical equipment.
- Exceptional thermal and electrical insulative properties—PTFE can withstand up to 500 volts per mil and up to 600° F.
- High resistances to most common chemicals.
- Poor water absorption, making Teflon suitable for use in wet environments.
- The lowest coefficient of friction among all plastics, so it doesn’t typically require any sort of lubrication.
- Excellent dimensional stability and creep resistance, despite high compressibility.
With these properties, Teflon parts provide consistent performance over a long service life. This makes PTFE a more cost-effective raw material than other plastics in many applications, including plumbing.
Common Plumbing Applications for Teflon
Teflon’s chemical inertness and hydrophobic properties make it a widely used material in the plumbing industry. Common plumbing applications include:
- Washers used in plumbing are almost exclusively made from PTFE. Teflon also repels oil, so these washers are useful in piping or process systems that move oil or oil-containing fluids.
- PTFE plumber’s tape prevents leaks by sealing the threads of joining pipes.
- The dimensional stability of Teflon at high temperatures makes it an ideal choice for parts used in hot water applications.
New Process Fibre (NPF) is an ISO 9001:2015-certified company that fabricates standard and custom-designed washers with Teflon and other plastics. Our PTFE products are widely used in a broad range of industries, including plumbing. Our Teflon washers are available in diameters from 0.093–16 inches and thicknesses from 0.0002–0.125 inches.
We can also provide washers in many different colors. NPF manufactures custom ordered washers in English or metric units. We supply these custom washers with pre-applied pressure-sensitive adhesives as well.
For more information about our PTFE washers or other Teflon products, please contact us.