Nylon 6/6 is the most used engineering thermoplastic in the automotive industry today due to its durability, workability, and temperature/chemical resistance. The material is typically found in engine compartments, where it is exposed to harsh temperatures and fluids such as engine lubricants.
Nylon 6/6 can be molded, extruded, and stamped into various configurations. It is characterized by high wear resistance, low cost, good strength, and high rigidity, making it an ideal material for many automobile components.
Another reason for Nylon’s popularity in the automotive industry is government fuel economy regulations. Nylon is a light material, so replacing metal components with Nylon is one way to reduce vehicle weight and hence improve fuel efficiency. It has been estimated that a 10% reduction in vehicle weight results in a 5-7% improvement in fuel efficiency.
There are many more benefits to using Nylon in automobiles…
- The chemical resistance of Nylon inhibits corrosion, increasing the overall life of the vehicle
- The workability of Nylon permits a great deal of design freedom and flexibility in integrating components
- The Durability of Nylon improves operator safety
- The Recyclability of Nylon helps keep costs down
The Benefits of Sourcing from New Process Fibre
Our machining capabilities at New Process Fibre are industry-leading. We have 75 punch presses (14 high-speed presses), stock 8,000+ washer dies, and carry a large inventory of Nylon materials. Using our machining capabilities and nonmetallic fabrication expertise, we only fabricate the highest quality Nylon washers for the automotive industry.
But that’s not all. Work with us because…
- We are industry veterans, with almost 90 years of experience
- We are a trusted Nylon component supplier to the automotive industry
- We make our own die-sets in-house
- We offer fast turnaround times for both low and high volume orders
- We make custom Nylon washers for a very wide range of dimensions
- We do not outsource — the entire manufacturing process happens in-house
Want to Learn More?
Contact us today to speak with an expert about automotive industry applications for Nylon washers.