Delrin® Washers: What Are They, and How Can They Be Used?
Delrin® is a unique formulation of Polyoxymethylene (POM) developed by DuPont™. This thermoplastic is a high-performance acetal homopolymer resin with numerous desirable physical, mechanical, and chemical properties.
It is especially renowned for its durability, stiffness, and dimensional stability. Delrin® components can operate in a wide temperature range, displaying exceptional toughness in temperatures as low as -50oC and as high as 90oC.
These attributes make Delrin® perfect for high impact and heavily loaded applications such as gears, bearings, pumps parts, and vehicle components. Washers, in particular, are subject to a range of demanding applications, making Delrin® the ideal material for washer construction.
Washers are thin, flat rings primarily used to distribute the load caused by the tightening or joining of two surfaces. They are also commonly used as seals, spacers, wear pads, and locking devices. Regardless of the application, washers must resist significant axial compression, friction, torque, and abrasion to function effectively.
Delrin® washers offer a number of benefits compared to other polymeric materials, some of which include:
- High strength properties – When tightened, washers can experience significant axial compressive loading. Delrin® has a compressive strength of 5200psi (approximately 1000psi more than standard reinforced concrete), thus ensuring the washer maintains its structural integrity when torqued.
- Excellent dimensional stability – Delrin® washers are highly effective at preventing leaks as they maintain their shape and overall dimensions even when exposed to sudden changes in temperature and humidity.
- Chemical resistance – Exposure to certain chemicals can cause some polymeric materials to break down or deteriorate. Delrin® washers are particularly resistant to hydrocarbon-based compounds, making them ideal for applications in the oil and gas industry.
- Low moisture absorption – Delrin® is highly resistant to moisture absorption, thus allowing these washers to operate in wet or humid environments without any adverse effects to its physical and mechanical properties.
- Superior resistance to abrasion and wear – Tightening procedures can be highly abrasive as the washers are squeezed and rubbed against mating surfaces. Delrin® washers exhibit exceptional resistance to abrasion, especially in applications with frequent tightening and loosening.
- Low coefficient of friction – The low friction coefficient of Delrin® washers prevents the buildup of excessive friction while tightening, thus allowing for greater tightening torques and higher bolt axial load.
Industries That Use Delrin®
Available in several specially formulated compositions and grades for a diverse range of applications, Delrin’s® composition and desirable properties make this thermoplastic an essential component in a number of sectors, including:
- Aerospace and military
- Consumer and kitchen appliances
- Electronic and electrical insulation
- Materials and equipment
- Power tools
Delrin® Washers from New Process Fibre
At New Process Fibre Co., we offer a broad range of Delrin® washers in a variety of sizes, blends, and grades to meet the requirements of almost any industrial application. Reach out to our support team to find out if Delrin® washers are the right choice for your next project.